Sunday, April 01, 2007

Sudan tortures journalist

I told you before that I as following the clashes in Khartoum when it happened. Now the journalist who was beaten up was someone I personally know. I got this letter on 29th from him through a friend when he got out of prison .

Dear Brothers and sisters,

I would like to inform you all that I was arrested and detained for the last (5) days Saturday 24th March and released on Wed 28th March 2007. I was arretsed at 8:00 PM by Security and handed over to Sudan Armed Forces(SAF) officers, later to Security inteligents and later on to different groups where I was blind-folded and taken to 5 different locations and later on to Omdurman-North Prison.

I was released when the Attorney General for Omdurman North canceled the court case filed againts us(Article 130) from Sudanese laws-criminal case or participation in massive killing. I was proved innocent by the investigation committee.

I went there(Muhandisin) area in Omdurman to cover the event that you all know. I wanted to balanced the story by getting "Accurate and Balanced" information. I ended up in prison, beaten, insulted, humiliated etc...! Details to you later.

Only that I am following up the case of my equiptment which were confisicated by te security till now. Sudan Radio Service Manager is now in Khartoum following the issue from here. He came together with EDC(Education Development Center), Africa Regional Director. Things are moving well and I will keep you informed. Thanks to everybody for your prayers and concern.

I have not phones now because they are with the confisicated property! Once recovered, will update you on the same. I thought it was good to write this message my self to all of you.

Freedom of the press? Say that again.

1 comment:

Maame S said...

Black Kush:

I am a rising senior, English and History major, at Claflin University. I would like to solicit your help on a research paper I am writing for an upcoming conference on Sudanese Affairs. I am writing on the Sudanses Diaspora in America and in Israel. Do you perchance know anyone belonging to this diaporic group? If so, I would like to schedule an interview with them. I will send a letter from my school indicating that my work is solely for research purposes and that confidentiality will be maintained for anyone I interview. I hope to hear a favorable response from your end. Thank you.