Sunday, November 19, 2006

The landmine menace in Juba


Life in Juba is getting back to normal, if not for the recent spate of attacks on civilians by unknown gunmen. I believe strongly that things will get better.

However, another real threat to normality is the issue of landmines. The Sudan Armed Forces had planted thousands of these mines in South Suda. They were randomely planted, with no maps of their exact locations. The whole areas around Juba are teeming with them. There are also tons of unexploded ordinances People cannot go back to their fields for cultivation.

It is a big challenge for thos working in demining operations. Areas have to be checked manually meter by meter before they can be certified as cleared. It is going to take ages to do all that.

Meanwhile, life barelly gets back to normal. At least people can get what they want to eat from Konyokonyo market.

According to Landmine Action, each year, up to 20,000 new casualties are caused by landmines and unexploded ordnance: around 1,500 a month and 40 a day. That is very serious indeed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ey brother. Congrats on the 100 days.

BTW why don't you install a tracker on ur blog to check how ur traffic is growing and who's visiting.

www.statcounter.com

It's really useful.

Precious said...

Hope things even get better and better in Juba.. I have just 2 simple maybe SILLy questions. but plz excuse my ignorance and bare with me..
1. Are you in Juba like NOW?
2. Is there internet access in Juba?!

Am sorry, for my questions if ther are really silly, but honestly I haven't been any where out of Khartoum (In Sudan that is) and I really dnt know how it is out there!

Black Kush said...

Hey Precious, there are no silly questions. Only the answers could be SILLY! Juba is my base but I travel out often.

There is internet in Juba, ofcourse! However, since Sudatel had not dug the fiber optic cable to South Sudan yet, our internet is only available through VSAT.

These satelite systems are now installed in many government offices after the agreement and that is how the NGOs use internet too. It is much better than the dial up connections! And we have lots of Internet cafes too.

Ignorance is not a crime, only one step behind knowledge.

And thanks, Drima for the tip . . .

Precious said...

Thanks Black Kush.. I think now I'll start thinkin seriously of visiting Juba sometime.. I've always wanted to, but just didnt know how things would be.. but internet.. cafes.. hm I think it would be fun!

Black Kush said...

Sis, you are welcome, anytime . . .