Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sink or swim

When I read the story of the Ugandan school children getting , swimming lessons it brought tears to my eyes. The fact that children get drown in the lake they grew around is a sad one.

I grew up near the Nile river, and taught myself how to swim. I have known of many children who drowned in the river. Some are neighbours, or school friends. I took it for granted that you teach yourself how to swim, not someone else. Our only protection used to be strick rules not to go to the river. But ofcourse we do secretly.

I wish more could be done for our children living along the Nile. Instead of a blanket ban, parents should make sure their kids learn how to swim.

1 comment:

Path2Hope said...

I wish more could be done for our children in so many aspects. Allah yi3eena and may we help build our country...